TISS is one of the most reputed college in India for HR. TISSNET the exam for TISS Mumbai contains Gk as one of the most difficult areas to crack as students dont prepare much for GK part of the exam.
TISS GK Awareness of General and Social Issues
- Cetking’s G40 module is bible in short period of time you have for the exam.
- But if you have enough time heres the list of comprehensive things needed:
- For History, Geography and Science read NCERT from 8 to 12 standard
- For Economics – Pratiyogita Darpan Special Economics also includes international organizations. It includes various government schemes.
- For Indian Polity refer Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth. This is the bible of Indian Polity. It is a must buy book. One supplementary book with you have to refer is The Indian Constitution by PM Bakshi. There are two books of PM Bakshi. Buy the smaller one.
- For current affairs, newspaper is the best source. Also you can use any current affairs magazine Like Chronicle Civil Services or Wizard or Pratiyogita Darpan. But the best source still remains is newspapers. Also search consolidated current affairs magazine such as Mahendra’s publication .
- For Social Issues refer Social Issues and Institutions by Wizard Publication. Also go through yoganas started by the government of india for TISS GK.
GK Must do questions set 1
1. The Baikonur Cosmodrome is the world’s first and largest operational space launch facility. In which country is it located?
Ans. (B) Kazakhstan
2. The International Hockey Federation has decided to allot the next Hockey World Cup in 2010 to India. In which year Hockey World Cup tournament started?
Ans. (A) 1971
3. Which among the following clubs has won the Spanish league title for the first time in three years on May 17, 2009?
(B) Inter Millan
(C) Real Madrid
(D) Manchester United
Ans. (A) Barcelona
4. Recently Suranjoy Singh of India sizzled with a Gold on the concluding day of the European Grand Prix boxing as India finished their campaign with four medals. This contest held in ?
(A) Czech Republic.
5. Recently 12-member Sikkim Cabinet was sworn in and Pavan Kumar Chamling becomes CM for the ________?
(A) 2nd time
(B) 3rd time
(C) 4th time
(D) 5th time
Ans. (C) 4th time
6. Who among the following has been nominated to become the U.S. Attorney for Southern District of New York, by US President Barack Obama?
(A) Preet Bharara
(B) Suresh Modi
(C) Rajiv Khurana
(D) Suresh Kalmadi
Ans. (A) Preet Bharara
7. The government formed the panel after many ex-servicemen returned their medals to protest the rejection of their ‘one rank one pension’ demand. Who is heading this panel ?
(A) K.M. Chandrasekhar
(B) R Balakrishanan
(C) B S Padmanabham
(D) T. Raja Shekhar
Ans. (A) K.M. Chandrasekhar
8. Recently India’s Jayanta Talukdar, Rahul Banerjee and Mangal Singh Champia, earned India a gold medal in the recurve team event of the archery World Cup Stage I. In which country this event held?
(D) Czech Republic.
Ans. (A) Croatia
9. Recently Madhu Kannan has joined as managing director & chief executive officer (CEO) of which exchange?
(A) Bombay Stock Exchange
(B) National Stock Exchange
(C) Delhi Stock exchange
(D) None of these
Ans. (A) Bombay Stock Exchange
10. Who has won his maiden International Tennis Federation (ITF) title at Delhi Lawn Tennis Association on April 25, 2009?
(A) Yuki Bhambari
(B) Vishnu Vardhan
(C) Leander Paes
(D) Mahesh Bhupti
Ans. (A) Yuki Bhambari
11. What is the name of the first setellite launched by Iran on Feb 3, 2009 ?
Ans. (D) Omid
12. Recently Indian Navy commissioned INS Airavat. Which among the following terms precisely describes INS Airavat?
(A) Landing Ship Tank
(B) Waterjet Propelled Fast Attack Craft
(C) Guided Missile Frigate
(D) GPS Craft
Ans. (A) Landing Ship Tank
13. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) recently has entered the Limca Book of Records as the largest animal rights organisation. (May 11, 2009). In which year PETA began ?
Ans. (D) 1980
14. ‘Open Market Operation ‘ is a part of
(A) Income Policy
(B) Fiscal Policy
(C) Credit Policy
(D) Labour Policy
Ans. (D) Labour Policy
15. SDR, the curency of the IMF , is in the form of
(A) Paper Currency
(C) Silver and Gold both
(D) Book keeping entry only
Ans. (D) Book Keeping entry only
16.Who is the new Prime Minister of Hungry ?
(A) Victor Orban
(B) Gorden Bajnai
(C) Jeno Fock
(D) Ference Gyurcsany
Ans. (B) Gorden Bajnai
17.Who is the new prime minister of Denmark ?
(A) Anders Fogh Rasmussen
(B) Lars Looke Rasmussen
(C) Poul Nyrup Rasmussen
(D) Poul Hartling
Ans. (B) Lars Looke Rasmussen
18.Who is the Author of the book “My China Diary”
Ans. (D) Natwar Singh
19.Umrao Singh has passed away recently .Which of the following field was he associated with ?
20.Vidya Pillai is related to which sport ?
21.Who has become the first Indian to win two medal in a Shooting World Cup?
(A) Gagan Narang
(B) Sanjeev Bindra
(C) Abhinav Bindra
(D) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
Ans. Gagan Narang
22.Which country has launched a navigational Satellite?
(A) South Korea
(B) North Korea
23.Where will be held the Final of the Cricket World Cup 2011?
24.When is the Commonwealth Day celebrated?
(A) May 1
(B) May 3
(C) May 15
(D) May 24
Ans. May 15
25.What is the full form of PTC ?
(A) Public Transport Certificate
(B) Pubic Telecommunications Council
(C) Products Through Consumer
(D) Pass Through Certificate
Ans. Pass Through Certificate
26. In India, national income is estimated by .
(a) Planning Commission
(b) Indian Statistical Institute
(c) Central Statistical Organization
(d) National Sample Survey Organization
Ans. (c) Central Statistical Organization
27. Given below are two statements .
Assertion (a) : Powers for conducting elections to the Parliament and State Legislatures in a free and
fair manner have been given to an independent body i.e. the Election Commission.
Reason (R) : Powers of removal of Election Commissioners is with the executive.
In the context of above, which one of the following is correct?
(a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
(b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A.
(c) A is true but R is false.
(d) A is false but R is true.
Ans. (B) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A.
28. Which one of the following motions can the Council of Ministers in India move?
(a) No Confidence Motion
(b) Confidence Motion
(c) Adjournment Motion
(d) Censure Motion
Ans. (B) Confidence Motion
29. Hindu Rate of growth refers to the rate of growth of .
(d) Per capita income
Ans. (A) GDP
30. Which one of the following is the time limit for the ratification of an emergency period by the Parliament?
(a) 14 days
(b) 1 month
(c) 3 months
(d) 6 months
Ans. (B) 1 month
31. As per recommendations of the Twelfth Finance Commission, percentage share of States of the
shareable central taxes is?
Ans. (c) 30.5
32. The annual growth rate of the Indian Economy at 1999-2000 prices during 2005-2006 has been estimated between .
(a) 5 to 6 per cent
(b) 7 to 8 per cent
(c) 6 to 7 per cent
(d) 8 to 9 per cent
Ans. (D) 8 to 9 per cent
33. Which one of the following is not an objective of fiscal policy of Indian Government?
(a) Full employment
(b) Regulation of inter-State trade
(c) Price stability
(d) Equitable distribution of wealth and income.
Ans. (B) Regulation of inter-State trade
34. How many times has Financial Emergency been declared in India so far?
(a) 5 times
(b) 4 times
Ans. (D) Never
35. Which one of the following on the Consolidated Fund of India?
(a) Salary and allowances of the President of India.
(b) Salary and allowances of the Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
(c) Salary and allowances of the Justices of the Supreme Court of India.
(d) Salary and allowances of the Vice President of India.
Ans. (D) Salary and allowances of the Vice President of India.
TISS GK Must do questions set 1